- Adding a Mobile Device
- My Device is not Appearing
- My Mobile Device listed as "Blocked"
- Revoking Access to a Mobile Device
You can add your mobile device as a push notification contact method by logging in to the PagerDuty mobile app. You can log in to multiple accounts at the same time, and you will receive notifications for all accounts.
- Log out of the app.
- Force close the app.
- Uninstall the app from your phone.
- Reinstall the app.
- If you are on a wifi network, switch to a cellular data network. Some wi-fi networks have firewalls that might block requests from successfully registering your device.
- Log in to your account from the mobile app when prompted on a cellular data network.
- In the PagerDuty web UI, your mobile will appear as a contact method momentarily.
- If it still does not appear as a push contact method, then, from the mobile app's menu, log out of the app and log back in.
If you are still having an issue, please make sure that PagerDuty is toggled on in your phone's Settings → Notifications.
You can add a total of 10 contact methods. If you see an error when logging in to your account via the mobile app, make sure that you have fewer than 10 contact methods on your user profile.
Please see our General Push Notification Troubleshooting Guide.
Your device may appear Blocked for the following reasons:
- An older device is still registered on your profile. In this case, "Blocked" means no longer in use.
- You removed the mobile app without removing the contact method in your profile.
- When prompted, you did not allow the mobile app to receive notifications.
- Your mobile carrier or wireless network has prevented push notifications from being delivered to your device in the past.
If you hover over the Blocked message you will see the text, "This device has been blocked. To re-enable it, please remove this contact method and restart your mobile app."
To re-enable a push contact method:
- Delete the contact method in your profile by clicking the X next to the contact method in your profile — this will also remove your push notification rule(s) for this device.
- Log out and back in to the mobile app.
- When prompted, tap Allow or OK to allow the app to send push notifications to your device.
- Click on your profile icon in the upper right hand corner of the web UI and select My Profile.
- Go to the User Settings tab.
- Click Revoke next to the mobile device that you would like to revoke from your account.
- If you would like to re-add a device after revoking access, log in the PagerDuty mobile app again.
The first time you open the PagerDuty app, you will be prompted to enter your email address/password or subdomain to login.
After logging in, you should see a similar screen as follows:
The All tab shows all triggered and acknowledged incidents in the account.
Push notifications will look similar to the one below. You can acknowledge an incident directly from the notification. PagerDuty push notifications provide the incident number, service, and incident description.
If a triggered incident is assigned to you, the banner at the top will turn red. Your incidents will be under the Mine tab on the Open Incidents screen.
Swipe left to acknowledge an incident — the app's banner will turn yellow. Snooze an incident by swiping left on an acknowledged incident.
To resolve, swipe right.
Tap an incident to enter the incident detail screen. The incident detail screen contains incident info and timeline. You will also see Ack and Resolve buttons. After an incident is acknowledged, the Ack button becomes a Snooze button.
On iOS, the More button (on Android, the menu icon in the upper right corner) allows you to add a Note or reassign the incident.
You can also go to the Resolved Incidents view to see all previously resolved incidents.
The Escalation Policies view shows your escalation policies as well as your teams' and all of your organization’s escalation policies.
Selecting an escalation policy will show who is on-call at each level. Select a user to see their contact info and schedule details.
The Users view lists users and their login email address. Selecting a user will show their contact methods and escalation policies where they are on-call. You can email, call, or SMS a user from your device by tapping on a user's email address or phone number.
From the Settings screen, you can select a custom push notification sound. You can also contact support, or check for critical PagerDuty-related issues by tapping System Status.
You can also change how PagerDuty notifications are displayed on your device (i.e. how many notifications to show at once, whether or not you want notifications to be shown when your device is locked, etc.) by launching the Settings app and going to Notifications → PagerDuty.
You can use the mobile app to trigger, acknowledge, snooze, and reassign incidents. For more information on using the mobile app, you can check out the mobile app walkthrough.
To trigger an incident in the mobile app, open the app, view the Open Incidents screen, and tap the More icon in the upper right corner.
You can optionally choose to assign an incident to an escalation policy other than the service's default escalation policy. This overrides who the incident is assigned to.
There are 2 ways to acknowledge an incident in the mobile app. On the Open Incidents screen:
- Swipe left on an incident to acknowledge the incident.
- Tap an incident and then ACK at the bottom of the screen.
Once you acknowledge the incident you will also see the option to Snooze the incident for a period of time.
There are 2 ways to resolve an incident in the mobile app. On the Open Incidents screen:
- Swipe right to resolve the incident.
- Tap the name of the incident and then RESOLVE at the bottom of the screen.
With live updating of incidents, incident pages and detail screens will stay up-to-date with the latest information and incident statuses, eliminating the need to manually refresh these pages in order to get updates.
While on an incident list, when new incidents come in, a button will appear near the top of the screen indicating how many new incidents are ready to be shuffled into the list. After pressing that button, new incidents will be shuffled in and the view will move to the latest, highest priority incident. Alternatively the user can invoke a scroll, where the button will disappear and the new incidents will be shuffled in, but the view will not change.
Live updating is on by default. In order to disable Live Updating:
- Navigate to the Settings tab of the mobile app
- Under the Performance section, toggle Live Updating off
While on screens with liveness, push notifications will not show up in the app as to not distract users from triaging incidents. The push notifications will still be logged in your notifications list and in the incident’s timeline.
Creating and scheduling overrides can be done in the mobile app, allowing users to easily schedule replacements for their on-call shifts.
You can create overrides for yourself (replace another user's shift), or for others (replace one user's shift with another user).
To create an override in the mobile app:
- Select Users from the app's menu
- Select the user, for which you would like to create an override, from the list ("Daffy Duck" in this example).
- You will see their contact methods and their current or upcoming on-call schedules.
- Select the schedule that requires an override. You will be taken to the Override Schedule view:
-- Taking On-Call: The person who will be taking over this user's on-call shift (this will default to yourself, the current user logged in to the app). Change this to the appropriate user.
-- Duration: The duration of the user's current or next shift. Change this if the duration of the override should be longer or shorter than the scheduled shift.
-- Start Date: The start date of the user's current or next shift. Change this if the start date/time is different from the user's current or next scheduled shift. For example, you can change this to a future date if you want to override a future shift.
-- End Date: The end date of the user's current or next shift. Change this if the end date/time is different from the user's current or next scheduled shift.
- Tap Save.
- The app will display the override information for you to verify. Tap Override to confirm the override or Cancel if additional changes need to be made.
- The override will be visible in the mobile app as well as in the web UI.