To add a user:
- Go to Configuration → Users.
- Click Add Users in the top right corner of the page.
- Enter the user's name and email address.
- Select the desired role for the user.
- Click Add — repeat steps 3 – 5 to add than one user.
- Click Send Invites.
Once you click Send Invites, an email is sent to that user's email address. They will be prompted to accept the invitation to PagerDuty, choose a password, and set up their user profile.
There are 3 reasons why you may not be able to add a user to your account:
- You do not have the permission to add a user based on your user role.
- There are User Limits set on your account.
- You are trying to add a user that already exists in the account.
Only the following user roles have permission to add users to an account:
- Account Owner
User, Limited User and Team Responder roles cannot add users and do not have access to the Add Users button on the Users page.
For more information on User Roles and permissions, you can refer to this article.
If you are an Account Owner or Admin and you receive an error trying to add users, you may see something similar to the message in the screenshot below (i.e. 0 Users Created. 1 User NOT Created: [Name_of_User]):
This error is the result of having a User Limit or Stakeholder Limit on your account, or the result of attempting to add a user that already exists in the account.
User Limits are established in the Account Settings page and can only be increased by the Account Owner.
For example, if your User Limit is set to "20" and there are already 20 users on your account, then neither the Account Owner nor an Admin would be able to add additional users until the User Limit is increased.
To change or remove the User Limit:
- Go to Configuration Account Settings.
- Scroll down to the Account Limits section.
- Set the desired limits, or click to remove the limit entirely.
4, Click Save changes.
If you cannot see the Account Limits section on your account settings page, your account may have a user limit built into its pricing plan. In this case, please refer to this article to add more users.
You can resend an invitation to a user if they cannot locate the first email that was sent.
- Go to Configuration Users.
- Click Resend Invite for the applicable user.
A new invitation email will be sent directly to the email associated with their PagerDuty account. Once a user has accepted an invitation and logged in to their account, the Resend Invite link will no longer appear next to the user.
Only users with an Admin or Account Owner user role can resend user invites.
There are 3 main reasons why you may not be able to delete a user on your account:
- You do not have the permission to delete a user based on your user role.
- The user is still on-call, now and/or in the future, on a schedule and/or escalation policy.
- There is at least one open incident assigned to that user.
Note: You may not delete yourself or the Account Owner. If you wish to delete yourself, you will need the Account Owner or an Admin to do so for you. If you wish to delete the Account Owner, the Account Owner must first transfer account ownership to a different user on the account, then you can go back and delete the previous owner.