The user profile is where you can configure the following settings:
- Contact Information
- Notification Rules
- On-Call Handoff Notifications
- User Settings
- Changing or Resetting Passwords
To access your user profile, select your User Icon from the top right corner of your screen and select My Profile from the dropdown.
The Contact Information tab, User Icon My Profile Contact Information tab, is where you can update the phone numbers, SMS numbers and email addresses where you would like to be contacted when an incident is assigned to you.
You can also view which devices are registered to receive push notifications from your user profile. Refer to this article to learn more about adding a mobile device to receive push notifications.
You can edit your Name, Title, Bio, and set the Time Zone that schedules, incident logs, and on-call times are shown in for your specific user profile.
- All users can create, edit and delete their own contact information.
- Admins and Global Admins can create, edit and delete contact information of all users with the exception of the Account Owner. Account Owners can create, edit and delete contact information of all users.
- Click Add Phone Number, Add SMS Number, and/or Add Email Address. You're able to include up to 10 different contact methods.
- Enter contact information into the field. You have the option to configure a phone number with an extension, if needed.
- Click Save.
Underneath your contact information, you can view your activity for the past 14 days. This includes information about incidents that you acknowledged, resolved, or manually triggered through the web application.
The Notification Rules tab, User Icon My Profile Notification Rules tab, is where you can configure where and when you would like to be notified when a triggered incident is assigned to you. You have the option to create unique notification rules for both high and low-urgency incidents.
- All users can create, edit and delete their own notification rules.
- Admins and Global Admins can create, edit and delete notification rules of all users with the exception of the Account Owner. Account Owners can create, edit and delete notification rules of all users.
We recommend setting up a delay between your notification rules to ensure that you are not notified at the same time per contact method. For example, in the image below showing a user's high-urgency notification rules, they have set a phone notification immediately (0 minutes) after assignment, a SMS notification after 1 minute, another phone notification after 3 minutes and an email notification after 5 minutes.
- Select Add Notification Rule.
- Enter the number of minutes you would like to pass between the moment an incident is assigned to you and when PagerDuty sends the notification. This defaults to 0 minutes, which will notify you immediately.
- Select the contact method that you would like to be notified on. You can use the same contact method with multiple notification rules.
- Click Save.
You can configure assigned incident update rules to receive notifications every time that a high-urgency incident that is assigned to you changes status (i.e. acknowledged, resolved, or escalated).
- Under the section titled When any of my high-urgency incidents change...
- Select whether you would like to be notified when an incident is acknowledged, resolved, or escalated, then select the contact method by which you would like to be notified.
- Click Save.
If a notification has not been sent to a particular contact method for an incident yet at the time that an assigned incident update rule should be triggered, an assigned incident update notification will not be sent out. If you don't receive an assigned incident update, check that the ack, resolve, or escalate happened after you received your initial alert notification to that contact method.
Note that if you acknowledge or resolve your own incident, you will not receive an assigned incident update notification even if you have a rule configured.
Users requested as responders to an incident will receive notifications that ask them to accept or decline.
Configure notification preferences for status updates when subscribed to an incident.
- Navigate to your User Icon in the upper right, select My Profile and then select the Notification Rules tab.
- Under When an incident I am subscribed to has a status update..., click Add Notification Rule, select your preferred contact method and click Save. Multiple methods can be configured by repeating this step. If you would like to edit or remove a contact method, click the or the X to the right of the method.
On-call hand off notifications (OCHONs) can notify you up to 48 hours before you go on-call, off-call, or both. These notifications can only be sent as an SMS, push notification, or email.
To send OCHONs, the following three conditions must be met:
1 . You must have on call handoff notifications configured in your User Profile (instructions below).
To configure on-call handoff notifications in your User Profile:
- Under the section titled Before I go on-call or off-call... click Add On-Call Handoff Notification Rule
- Enter the following information:
- The number of hours prior, that you would like to be notified.
- Whether you want to be notified before going on-call, off-call, or both.
- The contact method where you want to receive the notification.
- Click Save.
If you go on vacation or will be unavailable for a period of time we recommend creating an override for any schedule for which you are on-call. This ensures that there is coverage if an incident is assigned to you while you are not available to address the incident.
If you want to make sure that you do not receive any PagerDuty notifications when you go on vacation or are unavailable to be on-call, you will need to remove your notification rules.
To do this:
- Click on your User Icon at the top right corner of the screen and click My Profile.
- In your profile, click on the Notification Rules tab.
- Under When an incident is assigned to me..., remove your notification rules by clicking on the X button to the right of each rule.
Removing notification rules does NOT mean that incidents cannot be assigned to you. Incidents can still be assigned and delegated to you even if you do not have any notification rules as long as you are still on-call on a schedule or included in an escalation policy. By deleting your Notification Rules, you will simply avoid being notified for these incidents.
Also note that removing your notification rules will NOT remove your contact methods. When you would like to receive PagerDuty notifications again, you can go back to your profile page and re-add your notification rules.
The User Settings tab, User Icon My Profile User Settings tab, is where you can configure the following:
- Login Email — This is the email that you use specifically to login to PagerDuty. This may be different from what you have configured in your notification rules. You can edit this by clicking the edit button to the left.
- Password — You can change your password by clicking Change password…. For more details, read our Changing or Resetting Passwords section.
If you are an Account Owner or Admin, you can change another user's password here.
- Role — This is the user role associated with your user profile. You can read more about user roles. Only the account owner or an admin on the account can update this.
- Schedule Color — Each user has a color associated with their profile which is used in the on-call schedule to quickly recognize the user. You can change this by clicking the edit button to the left.
- Calendar — This is for syncing your on-call schedules to calendar applications like Google Calendar, Apple Calendar, etc. We have instructions on exporting your on-call schedules to your calendar application.
- Photo — PagerDuty uses Gravatar to manage profile photos.
If you have authorized the PagerDuty mobile app or a third-party application, go to your user profile to view which apps you have authorized and to revoke access. All applications have continued access to your PagerDuty account and data once authorized.
At User Icon My Profile User Settings Applications, authorized apps are listed by name along with the date the authorization was created:
Click the red Revoke button to revoke the application’s access to your account.
The page will refresh and you will see a banner confirming the application’s authorization has been revoked.
If you forgot your password, you can reset it by sending yourself a password reset email.
You must be logged out to reset your password.
Access your account's login page (i.e. https://subdomain.pagerduty.com) and click Forgot your password?.
Enter your email address and click Reset Password.
If using SSO, you will need to contact your account owner to reset your password with your identity provider.
- You will receive an email containing a link to reset your password.
The password reset URL expires 2 hours after it is sent out.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to reset your password.
If you know your password and are able to log in, you can change your password from your user profile.
- Access your user profile by selecting your User Icon from the top right corner of your screen and select My Profile from the dropdown.
- Navigate to the User Settings tab and click Change Password…
- Follow the on screen instructions to change your password and click Save.
Users with an Account Owner or Admin user role have the ability to change another user's password for them.
- Navigate to People Users.
- Click on the name of the user who's password you want to change.
- Click the User Settings tab and select Change Password…
- Enter your password, and then enter the user's new password and click Save.
The Account Owner can optionally hide users' contact info (phone/SMS numbers and email addresses) in the web UI under User Icon Account Settings Account Settings tab Account Details.
With this option enabled, non-admin users will see other users' contact methods replaced mostly with asterisks (
Account Owners can choose to restrict users to only use domains that are in the Email Domain Allow List when they change (or create) their login or contact email addresses. The restriction applies to users when updating future email addresses; existing email addresses will continue to function.
To restrict email addresses to specific domains, navigate to User Icon Account Settings Account Settings tab Email Domain Restriction. Check the type of domain restriction you would like to enact: Login Email Address, Contact/Notifications Email Address(es) or both. Next, enter a comma separated list, without spaces, of domains including the top level domain. For example:
yourdomain.com,pagerduty.org. Finally, click Update Email Domain Settings to save.
Users who attempt to enter email domains not specified in the Email Domain Allow List will now see the following dialog boxes when entering their login email and/or contact information email.
If your organization uses email subdomains within your overarching email domain, you will need to explicitly include each variation possible. Eg. mail.companyxyz.com, brand.companyxyz.com
Updated 2 months ago