Contextual Search - Tagging
Add tags to teams, escalation policies and users to easily search for them
Contextual Search uses tags to enable faster searches for objects such as teams, escalation policies and users. Large organizations can use tags to add metadata to indirectly related objects and identify their dotted-line relationships. Contextual Search also helps Responders and Managers navigate to the correct objects, and reassign incidents quickly and easily.
Contextual Search is available on current Business and Digital Operations plans. Please contact our Sales Team if you would like to upgrade to a plan featuring Contextual Search.
Required User Permissions
Create Tags: Admin roles, Global Admin and Account Owner base roles can create and remove tags by default. Account Owners can optionally allow Team Managers to create tags by navigating to User Icon Account Settings Tagging tab and selecting Team Managers can create new tags (in addition to Account Owner and Global Admins).
Add Existing Tags: Admin roles, Manager, Global Admin and Account Owner base roles can add existing tags to objects. If your base role is lower than Admin but you have a Manager team role, you will only be able to add tags to your team and its escalation policies, not its users.
Add Tags to a User, Team or Escalation Policy
Tags are designed to be added to each object category (i.e., Teams, escalation policies and users) separately. For example, if you add a “Payments” tag to a Team, the tag will not appear on any associated escalation policies or users — in this example, you’d need to add it to any associated escalation policies and users individually.
Spaces in Tag Names
When entering a tag’s name, the space bar functions like Enter/Return. We recommend using hyphens or underscores to represent multiple words.
- Navigate to People, select Users, Teams or Escalation Policies, depending on which object you want to tag. Select your preferred object to drill down to its details page.
- To the right of the object’s name, click Add Tags.
- If you would like to create a new tag, input a name for the tag and press Enter. If you would like to add an existing tag to the object, search and/or select it from the dropdown.
- Feel free to repeat this step as needed to add multiple tags.
- Click Save.
Remove Tags from a User, Team or Escalation Policy
Removing a tag is similar to the steps for adding one, but in reverse.
- Navigate to People, select Users, Teams or Escalation Policies, depending on which object you would like to remove a tag from. Select the object to drill down to its details page.
- To the right of the object’s name, click .
- Click on the tag you want to remove.
- Click Save.
The web app does not currently offer a way to completely delete a tag from your PagerDuty account. This can, however, be done using the REST API. For more information, please see Delete a tag.
Filter Objects by Tag
Tags are particularly advantageous when you’d like to restrict search results to a specific set of objects.
- Navigate to People and select Users, Teams or Escalation Policies depending on which object you would like to filter.
- Next to the search bar, click the Filter By Tags dropdown and search for your tag, or browse the dropdown.
Reassign an Incident Using Tags
- On an incident’s detail page, click Reassign.
- In the Reassigning incident to… modal, enter the tag name or browse tags in the Filter by Tags tags field.
- With a tag selected, only matching users, escalation policies and escalation levels will appear in the results.
- Select your desired user, escalation policy or escalation level.
- Click Reassign.
Updated 10 months ago