To enable sound for your PagerDuty notifications, you will need to assign both High and Low Urgency notifications a ringtone. In the PagerDuty app, you can do this from the Settings menu as shown below. By default, low urgency notifications will be silent. With the notification sounds set and no other settings enabled, the PagerDuty notifications will also be muted when your phone is set to Do Not Disturb or when your volume is muted.
Android Work Profiles and Do Not Disturb
Due to a Work Profile limitation from Android, Overriding Do Not Disturb, and System Volume will not work when the PagerDuty app is under a Work Profile.
If you also install the PagerDuty app in your personal profile on the device without any additional steps, you should see the Do Not Disturb settings respected when configuring the app in the work profile.
In Android 9 and up, if you'd like to bypass Do Not Disturb, you can enable High-Urgency Override Do Not Disturb.
If your phone does not have Do Not Disturb turned on, but your volume slider is set to 0, PagerDuty notifications will be silent. To change this, you can enable High- Urgency Override System Volume on the same page.
As of Android 8, bypassing Do Not Disturb can be less intuitive since there may be additional steps to set it up successfully.
- Ensure that you have Override System Volume enabled in the app.
- Selecting this option will take you to the Do Not Disturb access page. From here, enable PagerDuty and accept the prompt.
- At this point, we recommend that you test to see if your High Urgency notifications are able to bypass Do Not Disturb.
If you're still having an issue, you may have to configure this option manually as we have shown below.
- Select Settings and then select Apps & notifications.
- Click App info and select PagerDuty in the app list. Then select Notifications.
Don't see this option when you select Notifications?
If you select Notifications and don't see the menu below, you'll need to send a test notification or trigger an incident in order to receive a push notification. Once you've received your first push notification, the menus will populate.
- Ensure that the High-Urgency and Low-Urgency toggles are both set to on. Next, tap the text for High Urgency Notifications. This will take you to a different menu.
- On this menu, Override Do Not Disturb will be an option at the bottom of the screen. Make sure to toggle this on. Keep in mind, if you'd like your Low Urgency Notifications to override Do Not Disturb, you'll need to go back to the previous menu and select the text for Low Urgency Notifications.
Critical Alerts for iOS allow push notifications to bypass an iPhone’s DND and silent mode settings. You can allow high urgency incidents to map to Critical Alerts and bypass Do Not Disturb in the mobile app by navigating to Settings. Ensure that you have Push Notifications enabled, tap Critical Alerts for High-Urgency and then tap Allow.
Alternatively, you can enable Critical Alerts by navigating to your device Settings and toggle the option within the PagerDuty app notification settings.
Due to iOS features beyond our control, Critical Alerts can cause some calls made through third-party communication apps to drop when they’re sent during an ongoing call.
Within the Mobile App, navigate to Settings. If you already had the app installed, select Update PagerDuty Contact Card. If this is your first time logging into the app, you'll be prompted to grant PagerDuty the Manage Contacts permission. You can read about how we use this permission here.
Once you have the PagerDuty Contact Card, select it within your Contacts menu, and choose Add to Favorites. We recommend choosing the PagerDuty email address here, as the phone numbers we use are subject to change.
Now that PagerDuty is added as a favorite, navigate to your Do Not Disturb settings, and select the option to Allow Calls from Favorites. PagerDuty phone calls will now bypass your Do Not Disturb settings.
On-call Boosters allow you to get notified with push notifications about changes to your on-call schedules. You will immediately receive a push notification when:
- You are added to a schedule
- You are removed from a schedule
- Changes are made to your on-call shifts within the next 8 weeks (e.g., overrides, reordering)
Please note that notifications will not be sent if the change was made by the user themselves or if the change was made through the REST API.
This feature is automatically enabled for all users who use the mobile app but there is also the option to turn off On-call Boosters through the Settings menu in both iOS and Android.
For these particular forks of Android, you may not be able to set sounds from the respective High and Low Urgency Notification Settings. Instead, you may need to navigate to:
- System Notification Settings
- Make sure High and Low Urgency Notifications are enabled
- From here, tap either High or Low Urgency to choose your sound.
OnePlus devices running on OS 10 do not fully support Override System Volume. These devices will not always override the system volume when the phone is on silent or vibrate mode.
Updated about a month ago